Monday, January 3, 2011

Letter from Isabel Bolton's Mother Dated Spring 1916


Long Branch, NJ  Sunday 191__


My Dear Boy

          Isabell and I were sitting hear tonight and were just talking about you and wondering what you were doing tonight what is the matter that you dont come down home for a while as I know the change would do you good and rest your nerves up a little in the quite[sic] country [.] Isabell and I will be alone after tuesday as Papa is going away for about one month we have planted a lovely garden and would have plenty of work for you to do with the hoe.  Bob it is lovely hear[sic] the two trees are just fine we have little chickens and they are awfully cute

Isabell is lonesome tonight and so she sat down on the porch and had a nice little cry for herself and I hope she will feel better for a while I know Bob that she would like to see you so try and run down soon I hope you are feeling better in heath[sic] I am getting along fine since I am down hear[sic] got weighed the other day and I am 1 hundred and 37 pounds so you see I am picking up a little when I come out of the hospital I was 90 pounds but I get awfully nervous at times

Eunice has gone to Baltimore for a while and we both miss her & especially on acct of her and the kid fighting and fussing around such as ["This is mine!" "No it aint! Mamma gave it to me!"] and then the fun starts[.]

I have been to NY several times and thought of you then & would say ["W]ell if I go down there he might not be there["] so let it pass & each time without seeing you but hope to see you soon [P]ut everything aside and come down[.]

Papa has been very busy this last week putting up the screens to the windows and also fixing the screen doors[.] I tell you he is a regular farmer now you would die laughing if you could see him hoe[.H]e leaves the weeds and hoe's out the plants and when I give him the devil he says ["W]ell Mam I have to learn[. H]e is very buisy[sic] at the present moment putting a new handle in one of the hoes[.] Isabell broke it the other day and he wants to get things fixed up before he goes away[.]

The kid him and I went for a walk this afternoon in the woods and around the swamp[. W]hen we were walking Papa said[,"I]t is to[sic] bad that Bob aint hear[sic] I know he would enjoy this[."]

Well Bob I have wrote you a long letter and the next thing I want to see is you in person so be sure and come the latest next Sunday[. I]t looks as if we were going to have a storm tonight as it is lightening now and I do hate to see it[.] I get the shivers[. W]ell Bob I guess I will close with love from Papa the Kid and a good share from your Ever Loving Mother

the last call come down to L B [Long Branch]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X Isabell

[Stationary from Broadway Hotel, Broadway, Opp. Third Avenue, Benj. Jennings, Prop. -- Open Entire Year, Permanent and Transient Guests, First Class Cafe, Long Branch, NJ.  Stationary provides a date block revealing that it was printed in the 1910's. The letter is dated only "Sunday".]

No comments: