Monday, October 13, 2008

Letter From Mary J Scott 1 April 1913

R.M.S. NIAGARA [Royal Mail Ship]

Opposite Port Elizabeth
South Africa
Apl 1st/13


My dear. dear Bob/

I really feel ashamed at not writing to you before I sailed, but I could not get one moment & in a desperate hurry at finish.

Well! I cannot say yet that I rejoice at change of Company, but I hear all will be different when we get to Sydney & she gets into her proper run to Vancouver. I'm very much afraid I will never run to Vancouver with her. The long voyage is simply disgusting. N. York was quite long enough.

However, I must make the best of it now -- it was for my boys sake that I have done it & I believe it will be all right in the end.

I feel very very miserable & unhappy, Bob. Sleep & I are strangers now, & I feel just worn out. Am doing work of three stewardesses which is very hard, & the lifts are not working until we get to Sydney. Chief Steward, declines to use them for class of passengers we are carrying beds. I have about 1/2 doz: real live saloon, & rest are wives and daughters of U.S.S. Co Employes [United States Steamship Co] The ship herself is certainly a marvel. My room is just lovely & every comfort & convenience, but away from my passengers. Captain Gibb has condemned it & says a room has to be got ready on promenade deck for Sydney for "Chief Stewardess" (That's me.)

I do miss Clara every day & I will never forget the happy night we all spent to-gether, but what a sore heart I had all the same, I never closed my eyes that night. I have pictured you many times Bob & my thoughts are often with you I can tell you. It was a terrible parting with boys & believe me I have a good cry every day some part or other. I must work my finger ends off to get them [ie: the boys] out soon.

I hear it is a lovely country. Everyone you hear speak & they tell me I will never want to leave it. However time will tell.

Should I not like it I will stay, say, for 3 years & come back if God spares me, & if my boys are good & steady I won't need to go to sea.

Will we ever meet again Bob. I can't think that we won't. I really would like to meet again. I did not have any letter from Miss D before I left. I was away before arrival of mail. I was well treated by my shipmates & Chf Srd [chief steward] before leaving. The ladies bought me a handsome box of underclothing & Mr Gordon gave me L 1-0-0 to [One pound, no shillings, no pence] buy gloves & anything I needed, & Baker made me a lovely iced cake. I appreciated them all very much. Now dear Bob I trust you are well & much happier than I am & on receipt of this write by return to C/o of Union S.S. Co of New Z., [Union Steamship Co of New Zealand] to be forwarded to offices in Sydney, Australia.

As soon as you get a new sailing list you might let me have one. I will look your list & see when you will be in NYork & I wish I could have been there too. I never thought I could have been so homesick & unhappy.

We crossed the Equator at 1-30 p.m. Easter Sunday. I didn't feel her bump, but a terrific thunderstorm. I felt heat in Red Sea much worse but it was bad enough. We expect to arrive Durban (where I expect to go ashore & post this) Thursday aft. & coal & leave again Sunday for Melbourne & Sydney. How is poor old Brady - remember me to him? Did you see Miss D. since? Hope you did. Now good night Bob & be sure to write me a letter a mile long & I will write again at Sydney & give you all particulars when I've been at office. With lots of love from your old pal & ship mate

Mary J Scott

[R.M.S. Niagara stationary]

Important

Mr Robt Noble (2nd [Steward)]
S.S.S. "Panama"
Panama Railrd S.S. Co.
Pier 67
North River
New York City USA

[note on inside flap]

Have a few Anchor Line boys. but don't know their names. "Lauretta" looks lovely boys sit & talk to her.

[page 3 of love letter to Robert Noble]

A wonderful power has entered my life,
It came when your eyes reached my heart,
I live in a glorious dreamland with you,
a kingdom of love set apart, and all of
my joys are because I love you,
For love is my life & my all & ages to be,
only means you to me to love until
Heaven's roll call.

I dreamed of your coming & longed for you so,
I built you a shrine in my love, & all that
my fancy had dreamed, love, of you;
You broght when you came from above.
Without you I'd be as a lost mountain stream,
that never has reached to the sea,
Eternity's all seems as ages too small,
To live out my longing for thee.
Tho stars of hope are burning low, dear,
My heart will bid me go, dear,
To the end of the world with you.

I mean all this your loving sweetheart MJS

No comments: