Monday, October 13, 2008

Letter From Milwyn Jenkins Dated 19 March 1911

ANCHOR LINE


SS Furnessia
nearing Ireland
19.3.11



Dear Noble.

I wonder if you got my P.C. I sent you. I hope you are enjoying the best of health. I expect a letter from you telling me how things are going with you.

We had a record voyage homewards last trip getting into Glasgow Monday evening ‑ This time, I am afraid it will be Tuesday afternoon. though we have had extra good weather, barring one day when we ran into an ice pack, miles & miles in length. It was certainly a beautiful sight. We also saw 5 bergs, one of them being a very fair size.

The hero ship goes her maiden voyage Aug 12th. Everyone is counting on the possibility of joining her. It is very funny hearing their different views. Poor souls. Many will be very disappointed. (see note below)

We have a fairly nice lot crossing with us this trip, comparing with some of the passengers we have carried lately.

I expect you are having beautiful weather, and every thing enjoyable. Anyway you have my best wishes that all luck will come your way.

There are few changes amongst the crew. Nearly all the old hands. All trying to be extra good. Certainly its amusing. After you know them.

I intended leaving the parcel for you this trip, but not knowing when you would be in, I thought it safer to give it another 6,000 mile journey.

I also had a nice lot of papers, but will collect more by the time we get into N.Y. next.

Do try & get me a Panama Straw Hat for the summer. I shall be glad to get one. The Ross's are still in N.Y.. The sister Miss Seary is crossing with us next trip from Moville.

All news I will give you when we meet, which I hope will be soon.

With best wishes & kindest regards

Sincerely Yours,


Milwyn Jenkins

[NOTE: The S S Furnessia made her final voyage on 12 August 1911. Mr Jenkins suggested that a lot of their fellow sailors were scrambling to be aboard for the final voyage but many would be disappointed.]

No comments: