Monday, October 20, 2008

Text of Cable Sent to Alma Wurdemann Dated 26 August 1913

Panama Canal Rail Road Company.
PANAMA RAIL ROAD S.S. LINE.
Pier, Foot West 27th Street, North River.
H I BAWDEN,TERMINAL SUPT.
TEL. 933 CHELSEA.

New York, .......... 191....

Aug 26, 1913

S.S. Panama,
Returning to New York


My Dearest, dearest Alma/

"Returning to New York"!

Is not that sad, sad news? Is it sad to you, Alma? To me, dear girl, it is most painful. My heart aches and pans so! You see, I've been counting the days and the hours since when I left you, and I've been planning according to the ways that have been most usual - and now, -- well, I'll confess, that the disappointment hurts terribly.

Our ship is sinking. We are on our way, in all speed, back again to New York. We do not know whatever can be the matter. She is taking in water much faster than they can pump it out. We left yesterday at 3. Sometime this morning the soundings showed an increase of water in the bilges & the captain ordered the ship about. There seems to be no immediate danger, though. And, I guess, we shall make port all right. But, anyhow, it means our laying up for an indefinite time.

Alma, this is one of those times when I make even by brevity of letter. I can scarce write. I haven't the composure. I am sorry to the innermost core of my heart. If only it should have occurred later on, say, as we neared Colon.


Stationary stock code: T.S. 30 25000, SEPT, 1910.

No comments: