Sunday, December 27, 2009

Letter from Isabel Bolton dated 4 September 1915

150 W 36 St
NYC
Sept 4, 1915

My dear Bob.
I suppose you think
it funny, that I am writing
so soon the boat having
only left the dock about
an hour, but Mr Lobley
came up soon after I came
home and said he had
(quit) and asked If I would
write, right away and
tell you he was very sorry
and that he would be
at the pier to see you when
you came in.

Well I was more than
surprised when he walked in
here at three o'clock. I kept
looking at the clock and
saying "Well Bob will be
going soon" and when he
came up gee I almost droped
dead. I thought well maybe
something had happened
to you. He told me all about
the trouble he had on the
boat and well you can
hardly blame him Bob,
because it would make
you or anybody feel the same.
Supposing when you went
on the ship the captain said
"Well Mr Noble I have some
one to act as first steward
so you can keep the old job."
But on the other hand it
is the last trip and of course
the money will make quite
a lot of difference to him
on account of going to
Peru. He has left here to
go tell his sweat heart (not
Ironically) the bad news.
Maybe he didn't care so
very much to go away
anyway? I suppose this
trip will be lonesome for
you, without Mr Lobley
But you will soon be
back and I'll have a
letter waiting to tell you
where we are and every
thing. Well I guess this
is all I have to say. hoping
you make a good hit this
trip and love to you from
all. I am

Isabel Bolton
150 W 36

PS
Don't take any wooden
money. IDB


Note: The envelope was postmarked NEW YORK, NY PENN. TERM STA. SEP 9 9 30 P 1915; addressed to Mr Robert Noble, SS Panama, Canal Zone, Colon, Panama, PRRSS Co., Via United Fruit Co steamers or first boat leaving.

No comments: