Sunday, December 27, 2009

Letter from Isabel Bolton dated 4 December 1915

10 Ocean Port Ave
Long Branch

My Dear Bob,

It really
seemed a shame to
see you go away
again and me
come back down
here.

The short little
week you are here
goes so quickly and
the rest of the month
goes so slow and
seems so dreary
But "[illeg] sure it is
all for the best."

And very true it
is all for the best
that you didn't
go to Peru. I should
have died, But then
as it were, I felt
perfectly justified in
letting you go because
of course I thought
"Bob knows his
own business better
than I do", And at
that time I should
have thought it
very insolent on
my part to ever
suggest anything
different, because
I thought you
did not mean any
thing but mere
friendship toward
me. I couldn't see
how you could
because as Mrs
Donavan thought
of Alma I thought
the same of Eunice.
But now I would
have sense enough
to ask you not to go.
I wish you hadn't
left the ship at all
you would have been
head steward and
could call the ship
all your own.

But of course it
was mostly Lobley's
fault the infernal
scamp. He had not
the faintest idea of
going to Peru at all.
The poor insignificant
simp.

But never mind
some day you will
be the President of
United States in my
mind. And you
will be here Christmas
(That is if you have no other,
previous engagements)

So we shouldn't be
grumbling, Mrs
Pfeifer wrote and
apologised for not
coming Thanks Giving
she said that she
had company come
in at the last minute
and hoped we would
excuse her. But of
course it was her old man wouldn't
let her come, He is
an old crank. But
at any rate she
could have telephoned.

Mama and papa
are out driving
this afternoon, it is
not very cold down
here, although we
had a little snow
storm, and fortune
atley it melted as
soon as it fell. But
I hope we do get
a little before Christmas
as it seems so much
nicer.

I suppose you thought
I acted funny the
day I was down to
the boat. You see the
weather was so nasty
and then the suitcase
and all helped to
make me feel disagree
able, Mrs Donavan
is such a lovely
woman I don't see
how you can help
liking her, she tries
to find some subject
to talk about so the
time won't get
monotonous. I stayed
a long time on the
boat infact longer
than I expected, but
I hated to go, now I
wish I had gone
sooner, before Mrs
Smith and her son
came. It seems as
though I were in the
way. She talked so
intimately to you.
I thought maybe
she wanted to talk
confidentially to you
and couldn't because
I was there, and on
the other hand
I didn't want to leave
too abruptly for decency
sake anyway. It
might look as though
I were the least bit
jealous, never the less
I was glad to get away
and leave you to the
company of your many
friends that were there

But I also hated to
go and leave you.

The plumber called last
night. I told him
that I was engaged
to be married and
was very sorry that
I couldn't keep the
appointment with
him. He left right
away but he called
me up twice today
and asked me if I really
meant what I said.

Anyway I had rather
go to the theatre with
papa because he
likes me for company
I would feel bad if
I thought papa was
in the same theatre
with me and sitting
alone. So we went
as usual last night
and the evening seemed
wonderfully bright
perhaps more so than
it should have been
had I gone with
the plumber. Well
I was just thinking
we have to hand
it to the Old Dutch
Woman she certainly
is shrewd Leaving
the dog in the hall
I am glad you didn't
come up. Something
seemed to tell me not
to let you.

Now Bob I know
you want me to say
that I won't have
any fellows while
you are gone Well
I won't, and I would
like very much if you
wouldn't either but
of course I don't want
to jeopardize your
liberty in any way.
but just the same
I don't want you to
even talk if it could
be to anybody. Because
you know I don't
want or love any
body but you. You
say you expect lots
from me well dear
I hope I can fulfill all
your expectations and
all ways be loyal to you.
as I want you to be to
me. May sends her best
regards to you. Buster
is sleeping on the couch
mama and papa haven't
got back yet. So all I
can say is that I send my
love and kisses, and
hope you will trust me.

I am your little
girleen.

Isabel

Notes:

Isabel first begins to realize that Robbie loves her instead of Eunice. The tie to Panama Steamship Company and the Donovans seems solid here.

Isabel and Robbie seem to have considered an illicit rendez-vous while staying overnight at "the Old Dutch Woman"'s home during Robbie's recent shore leave.

May is the Boltons' maid.

Buster is the Boltons' dog.

No comments: