Sunday, December 27, 2009

Letter from Isabel Bolton's Mother dated Spring 1916

Long Branch, NJ Sunday 191__

My Dear Boy
Isabell and I
were sitting hear tonight
and were just talking about
you and wondering what
you were doing tonight
what is the matter that
you dont come down home
for a while as I know
the change would do you
good and rest your nerves
up a little in the quite[sic]
country [.] Isabell and I
will be alone after
tuesday as Papa is going
away for about one month
we have planted a lovely
garden and would have
plenty of work for you to do
with the hoe. Bob it is
lovely hear[sic] the two trees
are just fine we have little
chickens and they are
awfully cute Isabell is
lonesome tonight and
so she sat down on the
porch and had a nice
little cry for herself and
I hope she will feel
better for a while I know
Bob that she would like
to see you so try and run
down soon I hope you
are feeling better in heath[sic]
I am getting along fine
since I am down hear[sic]
got weighed the other
day and I am 1 hundred
and 37 pounds so you see
I am picking up a little
when I come out of the
hospital I was 90 pounds
but I get awfully nervous
at times Eunice has gone
to Baltimore for a while
and we both miss her &
especially on acct of her and
the kid fighting and fussing
around such as ["This is mine!"
"No it aint! Mamma gave it to me!"]
and then the fun starts[.]
I have been to NY several times and
thought of you then &
would say ["W]ell if I go
down there he might not be
there["] so let it pass & each
time without seeing you
but hope to see you soon
[P]ut everything aside and
come down[.] Papa has been
very busy this last week
putting up the screens to the
windows and also fixing the
screen doors[.] I tell you he
is a regular farmer now you
would die laughing if you
could see him hoe[.H]e leaves
the weeds and hoe's out
the plants and when I give
him the devil he says ["W]ell
Mam I have to learn[. H]e
is very buisy[sic] at the
present moment putting a new
handle in one of the
hoes[.] Isabell broke it the
other day and he wants to get
things fixed up before he
goes away[.] The kid him and I
went for a walk this afternoon
in the woods and around
the swamp[. W]hen we were
walking Papa said[,"I]t is to[sic] bad
that Bob aint hear[sic] I know
he would enjoy this[."] Well Bob I have
wrote you a long letter and
the next thing I want to see
is you in person so be
sure and come the
latest next Sunday[. I]t
looks as if we were going to
have a storm tonight as
it is lightening now and
I do hate to see it[.] I get
the shivers[. W]ell Bob I
guess I will close with
love from Papa the Kid
and a good share from
your Ever Loving Mother

the last call come
down to L B [Long Branch]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X Isabell

Note: Stationary from Broadway Hotel, Broadway, Opp. Third Avenue, Benj. Jennings, Prop. -- Open Entire Year, Permanent and Transient Guests, First Class Cafe, Long Branch, NJ. Stationary provides a date block revealing that it was printed in the 1910's. The letter is dated only "Sunday".

No comments: