Sunday, December 27, 2009

Letter from Kathryn Noble dated 1 April 1927

Friday Evening,

Dearest Daddy,

My letters seem so tame and mediocre after your lovely letters that sometimes I hesitate about sending them, wonder if perhaps I hadn't better tear them up and write other ones. I guess though you wouldn't get many if I should do that.

There are always so many things to talk to you about that my pen just flies along and words just come tumbling out at a great rate. -- Pat's cold nearly got the best of him to day - much as it did last fall. He has been up and down all day and now has gone to bed. I greased him well last night and he seems better to-night, does not cough so much. Isn't it strange how a Grippe cold goes right through a family. This time none of us has been real sick.

Justus Pharmacy has had a marvelous Rexall penny sale, two articles for the price of one plus one cent. Mrs Gearing bought a great many things but wanted to split with Carrie on most of them. However I got a rubber apron & one or two other things with her. Then I bought some five cent bars of candy for the kiddies, two for six cents. I only wished I had had about ten dollars to spend and someone to take the second article.

I had a special delivery letter from Coleman to-day asking me to answer by return mail. He is going out of business and wants to know what to do with the things. I don't know what to tell him but thought I would wait until to-morrow, sleep over it as it were. He will get the letter Monday anyway. It seems hard lines to lose the things now when I could perhaps get them in a month or two. Well such is life, we will be just as happy a hundred years from now if we never see any of it again.

Here are the children's promised letters. They had ever so many things they wanted to say, but it takes so long to stand over them, spell out the words for them, and see that they get their lines even, etc. We had two or three sessions to-day so you should appreciate their efforts even if the letters are short.

You should see us piled five in one bed, and really we are able to sleep quite comfortably. Pat and Bob sleep at one end & Kathryn, Peanuts & I sleep at the other end. We go to bed on the installment plan to there is very little trouble getting them to sleep. Peanuts thinks it is great sport playing with the other children.

It is eight thirty and all are asleep or rather in bed but Kathryn so think when I finish this will go up and mail it on the off chance it will go out early in the morning. The Gearings go to Atlanta to-morrow to some conference, will come back next Wednesday. The house will seem empty and lonesome with them gone. They are taking Freddie and will let him go on to Florida to visit his Grandparents.

We must be having the tail end of your storm for it has been damp & cool to-day -- a threatening sort of day but practically no rain. I hope we get no more for we have had so much rain this spring.

Well Good-night sweetheart -- I'll write you a real sweet, nice letter to-morrow and Sunday, a two-day dandy letter. With much love and kisses from your old Pal.

Kitty

Note: Envelope is postmarked Apr 2, 19[27] 7:30 am, Hendersonville, NC. The postage-paid envelope is pre-printed with spaces for a Hendersonville, NC return address. The return address says [Mrs Robe]rt Noble, []odes St., Hendersonville, NC. The letter is addressed to Mr Robt. Noble, Post Exchange, Fort Bragg, Fayetteville, N.C.

Peanuts is the nickname for their son John. His hair was curly like peanut roots, thus the name.

Kitty was Robert's wife's nickname, short for Kathryn.

Pat was likely "greased" with something like Vicks Vaporub to help him breathe and fight congestion from a bad cold.

No comments: