Sunday, December 27, 2009

Letter from Pat Noble dated 8 December 1945

December 8

Dear Mom:

For many years people of all nationalities have referred to remarkable luck as being "the luck of the Irish. Be that as it may I must admit that the occasion that brought on this letter was the fact that tomorrow morning we pull in to Pearl Harbor where mail will be taken ashore. At the moment I'm sitting cross-legged on the cast-iron deck of a Troop transport, "U.S.S. Ulmsted. We started off at a good speed but daily we've decreased our speed so that our schedule has suffered several severe set-backs. Before I describe the vessel passengers, or crew further I'll get you up to date for my future travels. We dock in Los Angeles, my separation center is Fort Bragg, and the fact that the army is flying most of its troops (73%) to their separation centers means I may be home for Christmas. This same boat has Rafal and Glover so if you like you can call his family.

Now for our trip thus far. We left Biak Nov 27th and landed in Hollandia the 28th. Left the same day and now we're almost to Pearl Harbor.

The chow aboard this boat has been so much better than we've been fed in two-and-half years. Which brings up the subject of food and I want to suggest right now a few things I'd like for Christmas week. Fried oysters with chili sauce, filet of sole and tartar sauce, at least two quarts of fresh milk a day, coconut cream pie, angel food cake, Virginia ham, turkey, fresh eggs, good coffee, shredded wheat, toasted cheese sandwiches and you know most of my favorites any way. I imagine a week of chow like that will satisfy me. Remember these don'ts too, no "spam", corned beef hash, "sourkraut" frankfurters hamburgers or bulley beef. Cause I'd not eat them.

Do your best to have Bob and his girl (or wife) home for me when I get there. I'd like to kiss the bride. I know it's impossible to have John there but with Kathryn, You, Dad, Molly, Alex, and Bob and his Mrs, I'd be happy. Quite possibly Elaine will be able to get there in time. I'm writing her also. Please don't have the newspapers full of any thing about me. I'd rather not have anyone know outside of our family and friends because I want the first week at home with you folks. So please refrain from the papers. Thanks. And Mom say a little prayer of thanks for the break I have and also for my buddies soon homecoming.

Loads of love,

Pat

"Make room for Elaine please."

Note: Envelope postmarked December 8, 1945 US NAVY, addressed to Mrs R. J. Noble, 323 Westover Ave, Norfolk "7" Virginia, marked "Merry Christmas", with return address P.F.C. G. P. Noble, 4th Engine Overhaul, Transient Home, Pearl Harbor.

No comments: