Sunday, December 27, 2009

Letter from Isabel Bolton's Mother dated 23 December 1915

Mr Dear Boy,
I am sorry I
will not be hear to welcome
you home But I have told
May to take good care of you
and I hope to see you Christmas
or if you will be down Sunday
eve I will be at home. I
have to go to NY to do a
little christmas shopping
would of gone [sic] the early part of
the week but I have had a
terrible time with my teeth
will tell you all about it
when I see you
Will say good by
Yours Lovingly
Mama

Note: The reference to May, the Boltons' maid, makes it clear that "Mama" is not Robert's mother but Isabel's.

December 25 was a Saturday in 1915, so her reference to "Christmas ... or Sunday evening" was likely a reference to the December 25 - 26 weekend. This note is probably dated December 23.

Letter is written on ledger paper made by Scott-Coopage Co, NY.

No comments: